Saturday, April 5, 2014

Mental Health and Crisis Help in BC

How to Get Mental Health Help for You, or a Loved One:
  • Speak to your GP/family doctor - Tell them you, or a family member, are not feeling well, mentally or emotionally.
  • Ask to be referred to a private psychiatrist - If you, or a family member, are experiencing serious mood, sleep, appetite and life functioning changes, or increased stress and anxiety that is causing concern a mental health assessment may be needed.
  • Request a referral to a community mental health team – Teams consist of psychiatrists, social workers, case managers, and nurses and they can help assess, stabilize and treat people in the community.
  • Go to your local hospital – If you, or a loved one, are in crisis, or at-risk of hurting yourself, or others, call an ambulance, or go to your local hospital. The staff are there to help.
  • If you are interested in counselling - Ask others if they know of a good counsellor.  Your GP/ family doctor may also be able to recommend someone in your area. You may want to do an internet search as there are qualified counsellors available all over B.C. 
  • Try not to feel embarrassed, or stigmatized – One in five Canadians will experience a mental health issue at some time in their life. You are not alone and there is help available.
  • Review the Mental Health Resources on this page – I know it can be difficult to know where to start so I have tried to create a list where people can start to look for resources and information in B.C.
  • Always maintain HOPE – It does not matter how bad your situation seems, stabilization, rehabilitation and recovery is possible for everyone. The majority of people with mental health issues are living healthy, stable and meaningful lives in our communities. 

Crisis and Information Services

Crisis line: If you are in distress, call 310-6789, or want information about services.

1-800-SUICIDE: If you are in distress or worried about someone else, call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433). It’s free and available 24 hours a day.

Alcohol & Drug Information and Referral Service: Call 1-800-663-1441 (toll-free in BC) or 604-660-9382 (in the Lower Mainland) to find resources and support. They can refer you to treatments and counsellors across the province.

BC Mental Health & Addiction line – 1-800-661-2121

·       9:00 a.m.– 4:00 p.m.  Monday – Friday. Sponsored by Canadian Mental Health Association BC Division.

Fraser Health Emergency Mental Health 604-951-8855 (local) Toll Free: 1-877-820-7444

HealthLink BC: Call 811 or visit to access free, non-emergency health information. Aka BC Nurses Line.

Kids Help Phone1-800-668-6868

  •  A national, bilingual, 24-hour toll-free confidential phone counselling, referral and Internet services for children and youth or their parents in English and French. 
The Seniors' Distress Line - 604-872-1234

Service BC – 604-660-2421; 1-800-663-7867 Toll-free
  • Locate BC government programs, services and offices.

Vancouver Mental Health Emergency Services Crisis Line -– 604-874-7307


© 2014. All Rights Reserved. Tracey Young. Catalyst Enterprises BC

No comments: